Saturday, May 31, 2008

Death Of The DJ


(courtosy of "Sohh Dirty" at sohh.com)

Well how else could I have put it? When is the last time you went to a show and saw a complete show." Man I don't need no DJ, I brought my iPod" one rapper said at a show recently. When is the last time you heard about this new DJ you had to check out for yourself because of how he kept the party rolling? Or should we just assume that the impact of DJs now will only be felt through mixtape branding.

I'm just surprised that we haven’t had a DJ (especially down south) breakout because of his "DJing Skills". The music choices of what you could blend and do now are ridiculous so the possibilities are endless. Or what’s really funny is when a DJ does a little scratchin, but with the same break beats from 87. Producers are creating bigger and more elaborate beats now so when are you DJs going to catch up. It doesn't have to be all scratching but do something? It sounds way better than you trying to scream over the record.

Are we raising a generation of "I can out shout you DJ's". Or is it just me. "Most rappers don't have time for their DJ to do all that,” I was told by this big time rapper. Isn't that part of the show dumbass. It also makes u look good to have a tight DJ. I guess instant replay just makes it easy to just hire your cousin for free.

What do you think? Are we missing the real DJs? Has the mixtape scene killed the DJ? Or is it the rapper who wants no one to take his shine? U tell me. Who is the dopest DJ right now that we don't know about? One that truly takes you on a journey when u step in the club. One that doesn't play any songs that you heard on the radio that day. Let me know, cause its getting boring out here.

No comments: